As you will be capturing information quickly during this discussion, a mind map is the ideal tool to do so. Structure your questions in advance so you can have a free discussion during the exit interview and capture the employee responses as you go through the session.
The MindGenius template for handling exit interviews is split into 10 key questions which guide the interview process and provide actionable information you can work with moving forward.
1. Why did you begin looking for a new job?
2. During your time in the business, what aspects worked well and what could have been done better?
3. Do you feel you had the resources and support necessary to accomplish your job? If not, what was missing?
4. What did you like most about your job?
5. What did you dislike about your job? What would you change about your job?
6. Were your job responsibilities characterised correctly during the interview process and orientations?
7. Did you have clear goals and know what was expected of you in your job?
8. Did you receive adequate feedback about your performance day-to-day and in the performance development planning process?
9. What are they key qualities and skills we should seek in your replacement?
10. Can you offer any other comments that will enable us to understand why you are leaving, how we can improve and what we can do to become a better company?